How Do I Change My Name for Tax Purposes? 2

Getting the Same Name on Your Social Security Card and Tax Return

After you have changed your name legally with the court, you’ll also want to contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) to request a name change form – for tax purposes (because the name you use on your tax return should match the name on your social security card).

Once you submit the name change form to the SSA, they will issue a new social security card with your correct, legal name. They will also notify the IRS for future tax filings.

If you haven’t already done so, you’ll also want to make sure that you change your name on any other legal documents, such as your bank accounts, credit card accounts, mortgage/property deed and driver’s license.


2 Responses to “How Do I Change My Name for Tax Purposes?”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *