How To Choose A Guardian for Your Children 4

Protecting Your Children After You’re Gone

Being a parent is full of challenges, but perhaps the most important is deciding who will care for them in the event that you can’t.

Its not an easy decision and one that most people don’t like to think about.

But if you don’t designate a personal guardian for your child, who will? And more importantly, will they make the best choice?

What is a Personal Guardian?

A personal guardian is someone who is able and willing to assume your parental responsibilities in the event that you are no longer able to do so. This person (or persons) can be anyone of your choosing but keep in mind that this is a long-term responsibility, so you’ll want to choose wisely.

Things To Consider

A personal guardian will be responsible for not just loving your child but providing for them as well so you’ll want to make sure that your guardian of choice has the financial means to take on additional family members.

The guardian must be at least 18 years of age and should be physically and mentally equipped to raise a child.

You should also consider things like schooling, religion and moral values – does your guardian of choice have the same beliefs and values that you do?

You’ll also want to make sure that your guardian is willing to accept the responsibility. Even though you might think they’re the perfect candidate, they might have other plans. Always talk to a prospective guardian and ask how they would feel about caring for your children if something should happen to you. Make sure they’re comfortable with the idea and are free from reservations.

You’ll also want to choose a backup guardian in the event that your primary choice becomes unable to care for your children in the future.

To ensure that your children are placed with the guardians of your choice, you should designate the guardians in your will.


  • Jill Twiss

    If a single parent designates guardianship in a will for a child, is it contestible, if the will stipulates someone outside of the immediate family?
    I live in the state of Iowa, my son is recently deceased after a marriage break-up. So far, I am on good terms with my daughter-in-law, however, she has refused to tell us who she is proposing guarrdianship of my grandson in her will should anything happen to her. God forbid anything should happen, but I would like to know who she intends to be the guardian of my grandson if it does.
    thank you

  • herman

    my ex and i have 5 children and she has become unable to care for them due to a medical condition. i have had the children since her accident. i need to know what rights i have concerning these children. the children and their mother lived with me and her up until last year when the mother and i broke up. i have stayed in their lives since even had continued to have relations with their mother during this time. she suffer a brain injury and will not be able to care for them long term

  • Rhonda

    My husband and I have been asked to raise a previous foster child of ours in the event Dads’ surgery doesn’t go well. As far as insurance is concerned, can he keep his Medicaid or do insurance companies allow guadianship of a child to be covered on our policy or would we need to adopt him to have him covered?

  • curious

    If my wife and I die in a car crash would my older unmarried daughter (30 yrs old) get first shot at custody of my our adoptive son (8 yrs old). I we do not have a will at this time nor do we set up guardingship. What does the state of Texas require? Or would our son go into a foster home program. I know our daughter would raise her if she had to however she travels alot because of her job.