How To Stop Domestic Violence 3

Steps You Can Take to Protect Yourself

No matter where you live, domestic violence is a widespread concern. Fortunately, there are laws in place to help protect you from an abusive partner or spouse.

The first and most important thing you need to do is find a safe place to stay. If family and friends are unable to help, you should contact your local authorities to find out if there are any community shelters in your area. These shelters provide temporary housing for women and children who have been the victim of domestic violence and can serve as a safe haven when you need to get out fast.

Once you’re safely out of reach, you should apply for a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO) against the abuser. The TRO requires the abusive partner to stay away from you and the places that you frequent, such as work and school. If the abusive partner violates the TRO, he can usually be arrested on the spot.

To help build your case against your attacker, you need to document the abuse as much as possible. Take pictures of any injuries that were inflicted and call the police whenever you feel threatened. Police reports and photographs can make a big difference to your case when you go to court.

In the event that you are injured by the abuser, you have the right to press charges for the attack. This is an important step in stopping the abuse and helps the district attorney build a case against your attacker.

As always, the laws surrounding domestic violence will vary from state to state so you should consult your local resources to find out more about protecting yourself from domestic violence.


3 Responses to “How To Stop Domestic Violence”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *